It Ends With Us - Colleen Hoover

The book that we're going to read about here(only one of the most talked about books today) is none other than- It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. For a person who isn't specifically into typical contemporary romance novels, this book sure changed a lot of my opinions. I literally just finished reading it and there are so many thoughts at the back of my head, so this review will basically be me blurting out my personal opinions about the book and what I think of it. Before that, let's go through a quick summary of it.

It Ends With Us is essentially about a girl named Lily Bloom in her early twenties who recently graduates from college and moves to Boston to set a life of her own after having gone through a very traumatic childhood with an abusive father. Here, she meets a guy called Ryle Kincaid, after which her life keeps getting better and better. Ryle's a successful neurosurgeon who is determined to be the best in his field which doesn't permit him the time for a relationship. But of course, he's ready to make exceptions for Lily. Right when things are going just the way they're supposed to, Lily happens to encounter her first love ever, Atlas Corrigan. As happy as she is about this encounter, she's also aware of the consequences it can bring to her relationship with Ryle, which is when things start to go downhill in her life. As the book continues, we get to see Lily grow as a strong, confident woman who's capable of making tough decisions in the hardest of times.

There are many things I liked about this book but mainly, it was the way Colleen portrayed the feelings of Lily's character that got me hooked. The writing was just so beautiful that you would think as though you were the main character and all the emotions she felt, you could feel it too. The book is also fast-paced with almost no dull moments, considering the fact that I finished it in 3 sittings. Although, there were some parts I found lowkey problematic which I will talk about in the spoilers section. But all in all, I can safely say, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would give it a solid 4.5/5.


(P.S: Please read the trigger warnings before reading this book)


*SPOILERS BELOW*

 Hello again to all the people who have already read the book. In this section, I just wanted to express my feelings about the book and how I found it a little problematic. 

We all see in the beginning how Ryle was such a charming, charismatic gentleman and later when we find out that he was abusive and couldn't control his temper, it came as a shock to many of us. So much so, that everyone hates him now. But I don't get it. The man was perfect. Almost too good to be true. But as soon as we found that he had one flaw, we start to judge. Now I'm not saying that Lily divorcing him was a bad idea. It had to be done, there's no doubt about that. But to dislike Ryle as a person because of his temper issues which he cannot even help considering his traumatic childhood incident (shooting his older brother by accident) would be a rather judgmental opinion. We even saw how sorry he felt every time after hurting her, and I know being sorry isn't enough, but his apologies sure did seem genuine. So I'd just like to say that I don't think Ryle was a bad person overall. He just needed some help. 

Coming to Atlas, of course, we all love him. He's Lily's knight in shining armour. He's a nice, sweet, considerate man who was also very charming but most of all, he had a very comforting presence in the book. He truly loved Lily and his staying loyal to her and looking after her like that just melted my heart. He was everything and more a girl could expect from a guy. But as we saw in the end, a few days after she divorced Ryle, she immediately, without hesitation, started seeing Atlas. I was kind of disappointed at that because, as much as I think they were meant together, she should have given it time before she started seeing another man who, in fact, was the reason of the conflict between Ryle and her. But in the end, Lily divorcing Ryle for the baby's good was such a bold and strong decision and I respect her so much for it. 

This book put me on a roller coaster of different emotions and honestly, I'm glad I read it. 

With that comes the end of this blog. Thank you so much for reading it. See you in the next one :)











Comments

  1. This review is literally gold. It's like you were speaking my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ryle doesn't deserve a second chance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he doesn't. but he's not a bad person

      Delete
  3. love the writing <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the writing <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's written so well i love itttt<33

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts