We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

We Were Liars was one of those books that I'd heard of a lot but never really picked it up for some unknown reason. But I finally read it and now that I finished it, I'm here to share some of my personal opinions of it. Let me just start by saying that I don't recommend this book to anyone who recently started reading or doesn't really have a good reading background. I found the plot of this book to be rather ominous and suspenseful. I will explain why but before that let's go through a quick summary of the book.
The Sinclairs are a wealthy, well-respected, beautiful family with a rich bloodline. At least that was how they seemed to an outsider. But what they really were was only known to the people in the family. They consisted of a filthy rich father, his 3 daughters, and the daughters' own separate families. They all had different lifestyles in different cities and didn't meet each other except during summer. Summer is the one time they all met every year on their dad's private island. The plot revolves around the point of view of Cadence Sinclair, the daughter of one of the three sisters, and her experiences on the island with The Liars. The Liars were essentially a group of 4 teenagers, 3 of whom were cousins and the 4th, an outsider. The story unwraps as a mysterious tragedy takes place in Cadence's life due to which she faces a series of mental issues including amnesia which causes her to forget everything that happened. Her journey of finding the truth behind what actually happened to her while facing family issues and falling in love with Gat (the outsider from The Liars) is basically what the book is about.
Now coming to what I thought about the book: I had heard a lot about this book before I read it. And I mean, A LOT. There was so much hype around this book. And naturally, I had fairly high expectations from it. That was one of my biggest mistakes because this book didn't satisfy my expectations even at the least. The main element of this book that I didn't like at all, was the writing. The broken sentences and unnecessary descriptions made it all the more confusing than interesting. There were of course some parts that I did like- the location, the setting, the characters. If you're into psychological horror or dark tragedies, you can definitely pick this book. But all in all, I didn't really enjoy it the way I'd expected I would. Maybe a second read might change my opinion but as of now, this is how I feel. I would give this book a solid 2.5/5. 
(When I write this review I'm speaking for myself and only myself. I respect everyone's different views and opinions and want to cause no offense to anyone.)








Comments

  1. Love how you've shared your honest opinion :D
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts